Sunday, September 9, 2012

xx means Dos Equis, right?

The other day I posted a message that included "xx" on a good friend's Facebook page. Afterwards, we were talking about the post.

"You're talking about beer, right? It just means Dos Equis," he said.

"No, those are kisses," I said.

Oops. Awkward.

I wonder how many of our other text symbols are misunderstood. Smileys, frowns and other facial expressions accompany so many of our texts. How many people confuse mustache :-{ with sad :-(? This one could be bad.

And :-ll? Yeah, I'd be angry just trying to find the right character on my phone. And how many people can find %-} to say they're intoxicated when they're in an intoxicated state?

There are a terribly huge number of <3 on Facebook. Are these all really intended to be love hearts or perhaps just a tad of an over reaction? If my love is strong enough to use a <3 on Facebook or in a text, I think I'd rather just give them a big hug and kiss. Live. Or at least by phone if they're far away.

So type carefully when you use symbols. And don't forget to show that same emotion when you see the recipient next. Nothing replaces the intimacy of real touching.

And in case you're wondering, Elvis 5:-) and popcorn **** have their own symbols.

<3X to the single girls,
Addison

2 comments:

  1. This is so true! Thanks for sharing thoughts. I was just recently bitten on the a$$ by someone who filled emails and facebook with love and hugs and every fuzzy emotion possible and then turned out not to mean any of it. There are good reasons why virtual relationships aren't um ... real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Annalise. And glad you're sticking with those real relationships. Nothing beats a hug, a touch, a kiss. Please come back and share your stories too.
      Love,
      Addison

      Delete

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!