Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Clove cigarettes, sunshine and fucking rainbows

The other day, I spent the late afternoon and well into the evening lounging by the pool with friends. One of the girls was talking about her retail job at Best Buy that she's not terribly happy doing. Her boss wants to promote her into management but told my friend she needs to improve her attitude and stop socializing with the other employees.

Then my friend said something that struck me. "It's been nothing but sunshine and fucking rainbows with me since that conversation," she said. It took a conversation with her boss to change her state of mind. Now she can make it through each day of her current situation.

For me that evening, a sweet aroma changed my state of mind. While we talked by the pool I caught a familiar fragrance that overpowered the BBQ cooking on the grill.

"What's that smell?" I asked.

"Clove cigarette," my new friend said.

My eyes got big, and my smile got bigger.

"You want one?" he asked.

"I don't smoke."

"You want one?" he asked and reached into his sleek Djarum Black clove cigarette pack.

"Okay."

I savored every puff of that one and the next. I was back in college again. Loud music and parties. Staying up all night and sleeping away the weekend days. Carefree. I smoked each one down until my lips burned. I wanted to stay in that state of mind as long as possible.

Then I realized that evening I had created a new state of mind.

Love to the single girls,
Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!