Monday, September 24, 2012

Laugh, live, love and labels

Over the weekend, I spent a lovely evening and morning with a friend. We sat on his sofa drinking wine, talking and listening to music until after 5 a.m. I fell asleep on his shoulder and awoke to his kiss and the sunrise. He carried me to his bed and we stayed there until after noon.

Just now, we traded texts about what a nice time we had together. And then I got the text. The I-enjoy-my-privacy-so-whatever-happened-last-night-has-to-stay-between-us text. Yes, that goes without saying.

But it was a beautiful night not a dirty little secret. While I completely agree with him, seeing the words hit me.

I have no idea how relationships work anymore.

If you've been following my blog, you know the single thing is new. It's been a struggle to enjoy life again, and I do now. Every day. I love hanging out with friends and meeting new ones. A few of them are in relationships, but they are relationships I don't understand. Some are each other's homeboy-homegirl, some see each other occasionally, some all the time, and one hooked up and became a "relationship" on Facebook on the same day.

Then there's my weekend secret. Whatever you call it.

But they all do the same thing. No matter what they call their relationship, they hang out together with groups of friends at the pool, at the pub or wherever. What defines their label? Is it how often you have sex? Is it exclusivity? How do you know the difference between  being a friend with benefits a homegirl and a girlfriend?

I don't regret what happened over the weekend. He introduced me to two bands I've never heard before - a Spanish group Chambao (I'm listening to as I write) and Pink Martini from America. He laughed at my innocent honesty, and my body turned him on. I enjoyed and very much needed the intimacy. He stimulated my mind and my body, but I'm certainly not ready for a relationship of any label.

It's all part of learning to laugh, love and live again.

Before I left my husband, I used to listen to the song called Dance Again by Jennifer Lopez, and it gave me hope. It still does.

The song works so well since she was learning to dance again too. The video starts out:
Always remember . . .
You will live
You will love
You will dance again.

She's right. I will and I do. And it's worth it even if I don't understand.

Love to the single girls,
Addison


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!