Saturday, September 22, 2012

Where does your groove go and how the hell do you keep it?

My favorite former neighbor, who's also the most beautiful mermaid I know, visited the old neighborhood for Oktoberfest the other night. She was my first new neighborhood friend and still just beams energy wherever she goes. She saw old friends and met some of my new ones during her visit. We had a blast.

She told me there should be a movie called "How Addison got her Groove Back." She clarified by saying "not to say you ever lost it, but your energy is so powerful right now."

These are the nicest words I could imagine hearing at this point in my life.

My groove was gone. Extinguished. It needed some kind of major explosion to revive it.

But it's back. Really. Between finding my independence again as a single girl and doing all of the things I love, my groove came back. I run, write, work, and hang out with friends. And I try new things. Today I ran my first 5K, and in less than 29 minutes. These things and more are how I keep my groove. Even on a bad day, there's always something amazing. At least one thing to be happy about.

I have one very dear single girlfriend who's struggling now to keep her groove. Most of her family is across the Atlantic. Her boyfriend lives in another state, and her best friend and former roommate recently went completely psycho on her, so she's had to move twice this year. She's on the right path to keeping her groove, but she really wants one thing. Wrestling will make her happy. WWE will light up her groove again.

Another of my amazing friends is so used to fighting to keep her groove she's mastered it. Between her drama-filled family, useless ex-husband (and father of her three kids), living in two states and over-demanding, underpaid job, she'll just kick your ass if you come anywhere near her groove. Just try it.

I'm not convinced grooves actually go anywhere. They either exist or don't. They don't take vacations. Someone can drown a groove in a millisecond, but getting it back's up to you. And it usually takes something pretty drastic.

I'm not giving up my groove for anyone. Go ahead, try to take it away again. You'll have me to answer to.

Love to the single girls,
Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!