Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What they say about grass . . . well, it's true

Last night I met a group of writers for happy hour. During two separate conversations it came up that I have a new life. The word divorce opened the door for both women to share their unhappy marriage stories.

Each is handling their situation in vastly different ways. One has two kids at home and her husband travels most of the time - both significant reasons why they're still together. She's already suggested that if he meets someone he cares about to not pass up the opportunity for a new relationship. The other woman is terrified to leave but has no reason to stay.

Then the night before I met a man who's in the same situation. His wife has cheated on him multiple times, but can't leave her now since she's in the hospital fighting a chronic illness.

Both women have kicked their husbands out of the bedroom and the two women and the man are extremely unhappy. They're smart, nice and attractive people who hate their lives. Every day. But they're afraid of what's on the other side.

Everyone's lives and motivations are different, so there's no magic answer. But all three noticed how happy I seem. And I am. Every day.

It took more than three years to gather the strength to leave my ex. Letting go was hard, and I was petrified. The first night I slept in my new place was the most peaceful night I'd had in longer than I can remember. The first day I felt like a kid again - like a huge weight had vanished. Life's too short to spend a single day unhappy. And it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

The other side is beautiful, green, sunny and full of hope. And trust me, there's more fun to be had than anyone can ever imagine!

Love to the single girls,
Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!