Sunday, October 6, 2013

The longest breath before the kiss that never happened

This week I had the longest breath I've ever experienced. It lasted four days.

On Sunday, I picked up my long-time friend and first love from the airport. I hadn't seen him in more than a decade, and we hadn't been alone together for longer than two minutes since I was 19. That was when we were in love. Then he went home to England. Time passed and we both married. We didn't break up but we moved on and left things unfinished.

I didn't know what to expect when I saw him. We had dinner a couple of times and drinks another. He hung out with some of my friends and I met a few of his work colleagues. We talked for hours like we had just seen each other. We caught up on life. He saw my home and my neighborhood. He sincerely wanted to understand how I live. I told him what happened with my ex. He didn't understand how things like that happen to people like me.

The sexual tension wasn't strong, but it was there. There's no doubt he's committed to his wife, and I had absolutely no intention nor interest in betraying that. There would be no better way to break my heart - and his.

That four days was like the moment when you hold your breath in anticipation of a beautiful kiss.

But the kiss never happened.

On his last night, I dropped him off after dinner and drinks. We sat in my car in front of his hotel and said goodbye at least four or five times and promised we wouldn't go so long between visits. We hugged each time and kissed lightly on the lips. It was respectful. It was nice, like it's always been with him.

Love to the single girls,
Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your single girl experiences and questions. I would love hearing from you!